Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Heart of it All

IMG_2380


In a little over a week we are going to be heading up to Doernbecher’s Hospital for Daisy’s procedure.  The closer it comes the more nervous I become.  The more I think.  Thinking is not always good.  So I remind myself to give it to God.  “Come to me all who labor and are burdened.  I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28

Last week I took Sweet Pea to her well baby appointment and the doctor said something to me that I had been thinking since the moment we heard about Daisy’s heart condition.  That Sweet Pea saved her life.

We were talking about how if Sweet Pea had never been born we might not have ever thought to have Daisy come in for a check-up.  It was at Sweet Pea’s two-week appointment that the doctor asked how long it had been since some of the kids had come in for a check-up.  I realized that my older girls had not been in for a long time (other than stitches for Rose, lol).  He made a special appointment for Sweet Pea, Rose, Lily, Daisy, and Buttercup.

The thing is a heart condition like this is usually found in children much younger.  Daisy never really had any complaints or troubles, so she never needed to go to the doctor.  When she was younger our old doctor never heard anything.

Our (wonderful, incredible, amazing) doctor now told us that we should have the murmur he heard checked out.  And he was right.  The experts told us that if it had been ten or so more years her condition would have been far more serious… deadly.  If she had grown-up, got married, got pregnant?  It could have killed them both.

IMG_8185

The idea makes me so cold.  But you see, Sweet Pea, this sweet little baby who very often sports a fabulous mohawk and is twelve years younger, saved her big sister’s life.

Many people gasp when we tell them we have seven children (almost eight now!).  They think we are crazy.  Most ask if we are like the Duggars.  I even had a lady at Costco ask me how big our house was after telling me her daughter was getting her tubes tied.

We thought we were done after Daisy.  We thought we wouldn’t have anymore.  Had decided so.  But God had other plans.  Whenever anyone has the audacity to judge us and give some snotty remark, the question is always raised… “Ok, which one would you have us give back?”  Each of these precious children is an enormous blessing to us and, yes I am not too humble to say, the world.

What if we had stopped at three?  What If there had never been a Rogue, a Buttercup, a Bear, or a Sweet Pea?  What about the baby to come? 

Maybe we are crazy… or at the very least weird.  But I am ok with that.  God has far grander plans for each of us than we can imagine.  No matter how many 5 year plans we make, no matter how much money we spend, or time we dedicate to something, it just simply doesn’t matter.

If Hubby and I had followed our plans twelve years ago we could have lost Daisy, not just our other little ones.

Last time we talked to the doctors about Daisy they informed us that the hole in her heart might be too big for the procedure they are going to do.  Basically they will go through a major artery and put a special plug in her heart that the muscle will heal around.  If the hole is too big they will have to do surgery.

So please, keep Daisy in your prayers.  I will try and keep you all updated with her procedure.

In the meantime, I will give all my worries to God and give as much thanks as I can for all the blessings he gives us, planned or not. 

IMG_9461


“To have courage for whatever comes in life - 
everything lies in that.”
 ~ St. Teresa of Avila

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to bless me with a visit and a comment.