Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Yarn Along ~ July 19th, 2011

For more Yarn Along goodness, visit Ginny at Small Things!

IMG_0780


Wow, I did the stupidest thing the other day.  I thought my allergy meds weren't working, so I stopped taking them.  You ever have those moments when you really are just so stinking proud of how bright you are?  Yeah, being sarcastic.

I have been in my own tortured existence.  I am back on the meds, but if you have ever done anything similar you know how it takes so long for them to kick in again.

So this foray in the land of the allergy has left me less than creative, mainly because my eyes are so itchy I can barely see!  But I have been trying to work a little more on my dress (thank to Jenn at As Cozy as Spring, I have found another skein, hopefully I will get the lady to sell it to me so I can finish my dress!!).  I started wok on a sock, but only 3 inches and I am bored.  Not sure why this happens every time I try to knit a sock.

As for reading, the young ones and I are curling up in the evenings on the couch and reading a chapter of The Secret Garden.  Goodness, I love this book.  I was not much of a reader when I was young and this was one of the few books I actually read and to this day it holds a very special place in my heart.  Are there in books from your childhood you could read over and over again?

I have also been thinking about picking up Heaven on Earth again.  I really enjoyed this book last time I read it and a few days ago I thought it might be a good one to pick up again as we get closer to our school year.  Then I saw Ginny mention it on her blog and thought maybe that was a sign, lol.

17 comments:

  1. sorry to hear about your allergies getting worse when you went of the medication, that sounds like something I would do! Your sock looks great, would you mind sharing what yarn your using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Secret Garden. I read it for the first time only a few years ago! I hope you'll feel much better very soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your'e feeling like yourself again soon!
    I love your sock yarn! Such a cheery color :)
    The Secret Garden is one of my all time favorites too. There are lots of "kids" books I go back to again and again - A Wrinkle in Time and Charlotte's Web are probably the most read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My childhood rereads have been (like you) the secret garden, Heidi, Little Women, Peter Pan...
    I know there are more but these are the first to come to mind!

    So, you get bored 4" into socks? Good, that's why I don't need to learn double pointed needles! :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the secret garden, but I love "A little princess" by the same author even more. I was (am) a veracious reader. After all these years, I still love childrens books, and especially children's books of the 19th century! Little Princess is a great inspiration for little girls to be a real princess, not a Disney version of one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVE The Secret Garden. I remember my mum reading it to the during the summer of 1991 in Northern Ireland, and I've already read it to my daughter who is not yet 1 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all!! The yarn is Knit Picks Stroll in Queen Anne Tonal. I really love it (and it is washable!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did the same thing with an allergy med, cut the prescription in half.......I was sneezing my head off this morning! The sock yarn is beautiful! Hope you feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suffer from those darn allergies too! Good luck. Thanks for stopping by my spot. Your children are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "The Secret Garden" is an all-time favorite of mine. It's such a wonderful story. I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your allergies subside soon! We have that very same edition of The Secret Garden and my daughter adored it when it was her bedtime story for several evenings a few weeks ago. (Stopping by from Ginny's Yarn Along)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the yarn, Amy!
    I hope you're feeling much better with your meds now. I adore the Secret Garden and Little Princess. I'm going to come across as being really weird here, I'm sure, but a book I loved as a kid and have been wanting to read again is The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. It was the first book I remember reading where I felt like I couldn't put it down, yet I didn't want it to end. I was a weird kid, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Secret Garden is on my list of books that I should read, but never did during my childhood. Thanks for the reminder to find a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bummer about the allergies, glad you're back on the meds, for what it's worth ;-) I love the Knit Picks stroll, it IS so soft and the washable part is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Secret Garden is such a special story...I love sharing books from my childhood with my children - they are such fun to revisit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the yarn. I have the same issues with socks I am almost done with one from the first pair I am knitting, but I just CAN'T pick it up and finish the thing! How do you like the book Simply Baby? I saw it on you sidebar. You have a beautiful family!
    Blessings,
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, that yarn is beautiful! I'm afraid that's what would happen if I ever knit a sock, so I never have! I think it'd be cool, but I don't really see the need to knit a sock yet. One day. =) Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to bless me with a visit and a comment.