Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Zombies Have Eaten My Children

HELP!!

The TV has eaten my children!!

Ok, seriously, I have a very serious love/hate relationship with our television.  And lately it has been leaning way more to the hate.

Let me give you an example...

IMG_1850


Look at that face!  It totally says to me "The lights are on but nobody's home."

Don't believe me... just look at Buttercup.

IMG_1851


Does she look happy?  Does she look like she is learning something?  Gaining something?

Yeah, I don't think so either.

After reading all the research in the book Heaven on Earth and other various places, I have really started to watch my kids while they are watching TV and I don't like it.  It makes me very uncomfortable.

Either they sit there like zombies or they are so involved they are actually twitching.  It is creepy!

YET, the television also offers documentaries, learning opportunities, and more.

The thing is the bad seems to me to outweigh the good.  After reading Nicole's post So Long, Farewell, what she said really resonated with me. I would love to toss our TV out the window, but at the same time it does offer great learning opportunities... so long as that is what you use it for.

It is so funny that with this heavily on my mind that a report came out about how SpongeBob is not good for children's learning abilities.  This came as no big surprise of course, but I think SpongeBob is not the only problem.  The real problem is that kids watch too much TV. People watch TV just to watch it.  Not to gain anything from it... not even entertainment.

This is obvious from just looking at what television has to offer these days.  Usually it has nothing more to offer than sensationalism: high sex, high violence, and every American's 15 minutes of fame.

So generally our TV is off these days.  I used to be one of those people who had the TV on all day, just for background noise.  Now I just long for a few moments of peace and quiet!  Seriously, however, we dont watch any live TV.  I can't tell you how great this is!  No commericals, no begging for things the kids don't really need or want, just because they have seen a commercial for it.

I don't think we will be getting rid of our TV anytime soon, I guess I just need to be satisfied with having it off more than it used to be and having a few less zombies hanging out on my living room carpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to bless me with a visit and a comment.