Tuesday, November 8, 2011

yarn along ~ 11/9/11

For more yarn alongs, visit Ginny!

11/9/11


I finally have something to share with you this week!  Sorry for the funny shot, I did it with Instagram on my phone, lol.


I have been working with the this yarn, Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo DK, on a sweater pattern I got, but I had so much trouble with the pattern and then the yarn was just not right for the project so it was frogged away.


After browsing on Ravelry to see what others made with this yarn I kept seeing the pattern for the Summer Flies Shawl.  I am a little nervous as I have never made a shawl before and it is a lot of lace.  I titled the project "Wish Me Luck."


As for reading I just finished Unschooling Rules: 55 Ways to Unlearn What We Know About Schools and Rediscover Education.  It was a good book, but not great.  I had some issues with some of what he said.  He was very pro-technology, which I am not.  I believe that TV can have a place, but I choose not to have cable or even local channels.  I believe that TV can be used to learn many things, but I don't believe that Facebook, for example, is a learning experience... although my kids would LOVE it if I did!  


Since I finished that I picked up a copy of Brideshead Revisited that I don't know where it came from!  It is an older copy, which makes it kind of fun.  I know nothing about this book and have only read maybe 5 pages, so far... so we will see!


What are you working on?

19 comments:

  1. Well the shawl looks lovely so far- I am sure you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shawl is looking fantastic! I made my first lacey shawl this fall to :) I think you'll do great to :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing how your shawl turns out. It looks so beautiful.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo beautiful. Really nice work, can't wait to see it finished and good for you. I end up frogging lots of stuff too but am always happy I did in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck ;) I'm sure you'll do great, one stitch at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shawl is pretty and I love that color. Enjoy Brideshead; I did. It was a bit of a surprise. DH and I would like to watch the older, good mini-series, now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shawl looks lovely!
    I have to agree, how is Facebook educational? Or a good tool for education even? It certainly is fun and I suppose one could do a really intersting sociology project using it but really it's about it. Sounds like an interesting book though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made that shawl before and absolutely loved the pattern. It's perfect for someone new to shawl knitting. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brideshead Revisited is awesome :). Read the book before you watch the miniseries, though! If you watch the miniseries you'll be bored with the book ('cause they're so similar) but the book, of course and as always, is better :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely watch the movie when you are finished. Or was it a mini-series? You can knit a shawl, yes, I know you can!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep those kiddos off of facebook -- speaking as one mom to another. It's nothing but trouble! And let's face it, there's not really much worth watching on television either. Reading is much, much better. I'm going to have to check out Brideshead Revisited. It's something I've always meant to read, but never got around to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely post,enjoy the book, saw the film recently and was a series too
    happy knitting xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I remember watching the TV series many, many years ago as a young girl! Lovely knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for popping over Amy Caroline!I love this yarn, I've crocheted with it, it has a beautiful sheen in the light.Your lace looks beautiful already...happy stitching : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. The shawl looks complicated but I'm sure you can do it little by little. Is it for you or one of your girls?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The shawl looks great so far! But I will wish you luck anyway because I know the feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh the shawl looks beautiful, you've got it! that yarn sounds perfect for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The shawl is lovely. Great blue!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The lace looks great! I've never knitted lace before. I also have never read that book! Let me know how it is. I keep hearing of people reading it. I feel the same way about technology. We don't get cable or local channels either. My husband watches Monday night football through the internet, but that is about it. Of course, we do have a wii and I always have to limit the boys' time on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to bless me with a visit and a comment.