Monday, November 12, 2012

A Very Etsy Christmas 2012

I want to start this post by saying I am not getting any compensation from sharing these great businesses with you.  I just have either purchased from these great companies or plan on doing so this season.

Ok, now that is out of the way, after my last Handmade Christmas post, you might be thinking, "She is mad!  I don't have time to make things for Christmas!"  I feel you.  So here are some great Etsy businesses that you can patronize.

The best thing about buying from these places is that you are supporting small business.  You are helping people and families probably quite a bit like your own.  You also have to realize that these businesses are quite often making these things especially for YOU.  This is a special, one of a kind, treat for your loved ones.

How awesome is that?!

Our family portrait from a few years ago.  Including God and Jesus.
And painter I am not, but it was fun and the kids
loved them!
From left to right: Jesus, Vava, Rogue, Rose, Tony, Lily,
Me, Bear, Daisy, Buttercup, and God.

I have been known to make a few wooden dolls.  Jessica inspired me to do this a few years ago.  I make mine especially to be played with.  They are nothing fancy.  Special though, but nothing for the mantle!  The one place I like to buy my wooden peg dolls is from Clickty Clack.  But they have more than just peg dolls!  they have puzzles and these adorable acorns.

© Clickty Clack
These are unfinished, so you do have to paint them yourself and seal them.  But really that is not that much work and can be done really quick.

Not that great of a painter?  I know, me either.  But these two shops make wonderful and beautiful saint dolls that would be something to cherish for a lifetime!

Saint Anne's Pixies

Jennifer has just about every saint!  There are a few I would like to see, but you know what?  She will make custom saints too!

Saint Geneieve © Saint Anne's Pixies


There is also Saint Luke's Brush!  I am lucky to have one of their Saint Therese of Liseux dolls.  It is very special to us and we love it very dearly.

Saint Therese of Liseux © St. Luke's Brush
We are big fans of wooden toys here.  I like how they last and special they are.  There is just something about all the plastic... I am kind of over it.  Don't get me wrong, we have our share of plastic toys (Legos, playmobil, etc) but I much rather see wooden toys scattered across my floor.  Besides have you ever stepped on a Lego?

One shop I am rather excited about is Armadillo Dreams.  They have the most lovely wooden toys!!  You must go and check out there Etsy shop.  I mean, look at these!!

Santa Lucia © Armadillo Dreams

Little Red Riding Hood © Armadillo Dreams

And I have to tell you, I am thinking about this for one of my boys.  I might be completely mad and I have decided yet...

© Frost Lane

This is unfinished which requires some art skills, unless you just stain it.  But I can just imagine how awesome this could be!!  Saint George, perhaps?  A dragon?  Ah, the possibilities.  Also check out the other cool things in Frost Lane's shop.  I am particularly in love with these hand painted buttons.

Update!!
After Jessica posted below and told me about Kimberlee's (She is having an All Saints Card Swap again too, so head overto her blog, there is still time!!!) shop, I was shocked!  How did I not know this?  So go check out the Fig and the Thimble.  They have peg dolls and some rocking hats too!  And it is filled with Kimberlee's amazing art.

Handpainted Robin Bookmark © The Fig and Thimble


So, go and check out Etsy.  There are millions upon millions of amazing things there.  Treasures for any age and things that are far more special and meaningful then a toy quickly broken and forgotten.

So do you guys have a favorite Etsy shop?  Tell us about them in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. Great post Amy! I love all the suggestions! :)

    We have that St. Lucia doll from Armadillo Dreams and it is one of my favorites! I bought it for C. on her nameday last year.

    I have all sorts of plans for this Christmas and ordered supplies (from a couple wood parts stores - I think I may have even ordered acorns!) last month. I'm just hoping I can find the time to paint it all, or at least some of it!!

    And I LOVE that shield set. I've been wanting to find something for (my 5 year old) and was thinking about this one but I think I like the one in this post better (and it is less expensive!). I'll have to think about that...

    And... Favorite Etsy Shop? I just ordered a couple Christmas Gifts from Ashleys Attic and I love (especially the bookmarks) at Kimberlee's kids Etsy shop, The Fig and Thimble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I not know Kimberlee has an etsy shop!?!! I am going to update the post now. That is amazing! And Ashely's Attic! Oh my goodness, amazing! Don't you just love etsy?

      That shield is super cool! But yes, it is more expensive and smaller. I am hoping to oder this shield set soon for Rogue. I hope I don't regret it, lol.

      I didn't see the Lucia doll till after I made my order from Armadillo Dreams. But I figure I will be getting everyone thier patron saint dolls and and things for thier birthdays. I think my big girls would even love them. Especially their confirmation saints!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much, Amy, for linking to our Etsy shop! However I must tell you it's my kids' shop. (I do a little papercrafting and make a few cards is all.) The artwork is most definitely not mine (my kids will get a good laugh at the thought of me painting that robin!). :-) Thanks again for the link - we really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love your alphabet dolls!! What a great idea!!!! I have to somehow remember this before Bridget starts preschool next fall!! (I will not have time now with another surgery coming up and still pumping...hmmmm...paint while I pump...no. I'm not going to stress myself out) Next summer, that's it...next summer, that's a good goal for me. Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yeah, I love how you put the family peg dolls in front of your beautiful wedding photo!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to bless me with a visit and a comment.