Friday, November 28, 2014

Fitness Friday: Thanksgiving Hangover

Last week I finished writing up my plans for Thanksgiving.  It was filled with homemade rolls, pecan pie, homemade stuffing.  And then I stepped on the scale.

After all my troubles with breastfeeding and the doctor telling me to eat more carbs, we introduced wheat back into our diet, yet again.  You would think I would learn, huh?  Anyway, we also started to wonder if perhaps adding wheat would help with our grocery budget, as well.  This is an expensive time of year and we are a large family.  Mind you, we are not the Duggars (who I adore, btw), but with 9 children and two hungry adults, we go through a lot of food.

After about two weeks of just not worrying about what I was putting in my mouth, I gained 10 pounds!  Tony was also struggling.  After such a hard pregnancy and all the ups and downs that came with it, I have come close to my former heaviest after Tiger was born.

And I never want to go back there again.

After talking with Tony, who brought it up - not me, I rewrote the Thanksgiving menu plan and found myself at the local grocery store the day before Thanksgiving with Posy strapped to me.

I will share more about our Thanksgiving feast next week, but it was strange just how hard it was to shift my thinking back after a month of eating grains.  I didn't want to have to deal with it.  I couldn't even imagine what I would eat!  I wanted chocolate chip cookies and mountains of pasta.

But all my old problems came back and the weight piled on.  I knew, back when I started this journey, that eating low carb and watching what foods I put into my mouth, was not going to be a diet.  It was going to be a lifestyle change.

Both Tony and I have realized that this is something both of us are going to have to do the rest of our lives.  I am gluten sensitive and after two pregnancies with gestational diabetes, it is time I accepted that mountains of pasta are not going to be on the weekly menu.

So this Thanksgiving we feasted well.  I made bread stuffing, but didn't eat any.  There is actually some in the fridge right now and I don't want any, believe it or not!  Stuffing is my favorite.  The thing is I have Paleo stuffing, which I love ever so much more.  It is about not replacing foods like mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower, closing my eyes and praying that God will make my taste buds somehow transform the food I have just shoveled in there!

I just finished a plate of leftovers and I am feeling actually pretty good.  No bloated feeling, no loosening of belts.  Ok, well, I am wearing yoga pants, but they aren't maternity!


“Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit … 
therefore, glorify God in your body.” 
~ I Corinth 3:16; 6:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to bless me with a visit and a comment.