Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Posy's Baptism


Like most things in this family, poor Posy's baptism was a comedy of errors.  We usually have a beloved priest who baptize our babies, but he is with a military diocese now and we were told that we could not have Posy baptized by that parish.

This left us in a bit of a panic!  With all the troubles we had been going through with illness and our troubles with breastfeeding, time went by so fast!  She was almost a month.  So we called the lady in our new parish that handles baptisms and she gave us the great news that the last Saturday of every month they do the baptisms.  

We were grateful we were put on the schedule and relaxed a bit.  That was when we found out that Posy's godparents were going to be out of town, after all that was Thanksgiving weekend!   I called the parish and the priest told me that, actually, they were doing the baptisms that weekend because of the holiday!  That gave me less than three days.


The next day Vava's battery died in her car and we spent the day helping her get to her appointments and getting a new battery.  And the day before the baptism?  Oh, this was the best ever.  Lily was driving to work to pick up her paycheck when a car ran through a stop sign, t-boned our little Chevy, pushed the car out of the way sending her into a spin, and took off.  Hit and run.  Lily is all right, thank be to our good God!  She is a little sore and the car... well, we will find out.  

For some reason I did not think I would be in this shot.  I need to work on my resting face...
That evening was when I realized... Oh, Posy is going to be baptized... tomorrow afternoon!!!  So we knew that anything big was out of the question, sadly.  We also had some kids coming down with a bad cough and the godparent's children also had a cold. I thought about sending out last minute invites, but with sick kids and so last minute, we figured a small ceremony was for the best.

Posy's little birth mark
I broke out the baptism gowns and realized they all had stains on them.  You can imagine how I felt in that moment.  So I took some hydrogen peroxide and dish-washing soap and got to work.  Finally one of my favorite gowns came clean enough.  The morning of the baptism Tony and I actually ran to Costco to pick up a cake.  They had no white ones without a big pumpkin on them, but they had one covered in roses and since that is her middle name, we grabbed it.


When we got to the church I realized we had an opportunity, which never comes to have our pictures taken all together.  So we wrangled the kids together and got a few photos before we headed in.



This was when Tiger and Sweet Pea went crazy.  I honestly can say my older children did NOT act this way.  These two feed off each other so much that we have actually combined their names.  It started as an accident, when trying to get them to stop doing something - probably drawing on the walls, ripping up their siblings artwork, or dropping the saint dolls I just made into a hole in the wall.



They decided that their baby sister's baptism was the perfect time to explore the church without all those pesky parishioners in the way.  Rose and Daisy did their best to control them, but it became almost impossible.  


Once the baptism actually started, Tiger decided this was a time to throw an uncharacteristic fit.  Sweet Pea is known for her fits, they are legendary, but Tiger is not.  He cried and whined almost the whole ceremony.  Tony had to hold him and I started to wonder what God was thinking when he gave me 9 children.


Father Mike was a wonderful blessing.  He didn't say anything about my hooligans and preformed a beautiful baptism despite the heckler.



In the name of the...

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Amen.



It took two times to light the candle, and my smart aleck of a husband had to make the comment, "That isn't a good sign."


You don't even have to guess my reaction, as Lily caught it.



Even after 9 children, witnessing each of their baptisms is very powerful.  Despite noisy children, I can always sense God's presence with us in these moments in an almost tangible way.



Being a Christian is not always easy.  We are faced with many struggles, God did tell us we would all have our own crosses to carry.  Knowing that our church has the sacraments to help us on our way to heaven is a grace beyond measure.  It helps us to connect with our Father in an intimate way.  It helps us to know and follow God's plans for us.


Watching our children grow in size and in their faith is the greatest blessing.  And even as I stand there amidst the chaos, there is always hope.  And my Catholic faith helps me to see that in the power of her sacraments.


"Surely your goodness and love
will be with me all my life,
and I will live in the house
of the Lord forever."
Psalm 23:6
Heavenly Father,
In your love you have called us to know you, led us to trust you, and bound our life with yours.
Surround this child with your love, protect it from evil.
Fill it with the holy spirit and receive it into the family of your church, that it may walk with us in the way of Christ, and grow in the knowledge of your love.
- See more at: http://www.prayers-for-special-help.com/baptism-prayer.html#sthash.oiDibgu3.dpuf
Heavenly Father,
In your love you have called us to know you, led us to trust you, and bound our life with yours.
Surround this child with your love, protect it from evil.
Fill it with the holy spirit and receive it into the family of your church, that it may walk with us in the way of Christ, and grow in the knowledge of your love.
- See more at: http://www.prayers-for-special-help.com/baptism-prayer.html#sthash.oiDibgu3.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to bless me with a visit and a comment.