Friday, November 21, 2014

Revisit Recipes: An Almost Paleo Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving is less than a week away, so I thought I ought to revisit some great Thanksgiving recipes!  So enjoy an Almost Paleo Thanksgiving.

***


How was your Thanksgiving?  Ours was indeed, interesting.  We are all quite ill around here.  We cam down with croup and the two littlest have double ear infections.  I am not sure why we seem to get sick so often.  I am going to have to put some research into this.

Anyway, I woke up Thanksgiving morning and everything ached!  I though for sure there was no way I was going to be able to do anything.  There was talk of ever postponing Thanksgiving till this weekend.  But after a cup of coffee and a steady couple ibuprofen every four hours, I was able to do it, with the help of my only sick teenagers!

Since Lily and Sweet Pea are on restrictive diets (Sweet Pea is dairy free and gluten free right now under doctor's care and Lily if gluten free under doctor care), we knew this Thanksgiving was going to have to be different.  At first I wasn't sure what we were going to do.  In the past there had been stuffing and broccoli casserole, rolls and stuffed mushrooms, pie and more pie.... all kinds of pie.

So this year we started some new traditions!

Bear declared as I was putting our turkey in the oven,
"Wow!  That is a BIG chicken!"
Every year I have a moment of panic right before I cook our behemoth turkey.  How long?  At what temperature?  So on a quick search I came across this site: Simply Recipes: Mom's Roast Turkey.  I was too chicken (haha) to put it upside down like they suggest.  Don't know why, but next year I am going to!  The temperatures they suggest worked great.  I worried with the temperature popper came up after only a few hours of cooking.  But I ignored it and kept it cooking for the 5 1/2 hours I knew it should take.  I let it rest on the counter while everything else cooked.

No stuffing, you say?  I know, stuffing was my favorite.  But to be honest, I wasn't sure I would have liked it this year.  I have come to really, well, not like bread.  I could do homemade I think, but store bought bread like products can make my stomach turn now.  Going down the bread aisle at the store, I literally hold my breath.  Ok, I know this is gross and a bit silly, but it smells just like old pee to me.  Just nasty!  So when I came across this website: Traditional Paleo Thanksgiving, I was a bit thrilled to see they had a "stuffing" recipe.  PaleOMG has an amazing recipe.  This was by far our favorite at the meal.  I mean AMAZING.  This was the one that everyone went back for later.  Tony took the rest to work, despite my sad face.  This one was a keeper, for sure!

The stuffing recipe led me to this Savory Bacon Butternut Squash Souffle.  Everyone liked it... except me.  It was good and it looked pretty, but I think I am not too big of a thyme fan.  Don't get me wrong, there were NO leftovers.  It was gone and the pan pretty much licked.  So I may be making it again, just I might skip the thyme, lol.


We had mashed sweet potatoes (can you say HEAVEN?).  This was the one thing we forgot about being dairy free.  Whoops.  The key to theses is to mash them in the food processor.  Trust me, this makes all the difference!


We also had a bowl full of grapes which was a huge hit with the younger set.  

We forgot to take a picture of the pie.
Sorry, hee hee.
"Pie?"  I hear you asking.  Yes, yes we had pie.  I found this recipe at Elena's Pantry: Paleo Pecan Tart Crust.  It was ok.  Actually, no it was good.  I just think it wasn't good with pumpkin pie.  The two flavors fought each other.  The pecans were too strong for the smooth pumpkin pie filling.  Thus, the "tart" part.  I know, I know.  So I think this crust recipe would be great with another kind of pie.  Like apple, which has been requested by Rogue for his birthday on Monday!  So I need to keep looking for other crust recipes to go with pumpkin.  

As for the filling I used my grandmother's recipe.  I have her old typewritten recipe card in a box still.  I love the little notes she typed on each one.  She was such an amazing lady and I am blessed to have the treasure of her recipe box!  We made two substitutions to make it work for us.  We used coconut milk and evaporated cane juice instead of refined white sugar.  The filling was lovely and smooth!

So that was our Thanksgiving dinner!  It really was lovely and we didn't miss anything.  Tony even told me this morning that this was the first Thanksgiving he can remember where he didn't gain any weight.  Wish I could say the same, lol.  Aw, no, no worries!  My weight fluctuates often during the week, so I am not too worried.  I am down 43 pounds and when I get better I can get myself back to the gym.  I miss riding my bike so much, sigh.

But that is another post.


Hope your Thanksgiving was lovely and filled with family, love, and laughter.  And here is to  a Christmas without a sniffle or barking cough in sight!

All photos taken by my amazing daughter Lily.  Check out her blog at Lily Caroline Photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to bless me with a visit and a comment.