Saturday, August 22, 2015

First Day of School 2015

I would love to say that we had a great first day... well, we did!  It was day 2 when I realized I overplanned... again.  Needless to say, I think I have figured it out and we are all on the road to recovery from mom, once again, over thinking things.

Our first day started the day with everyone dressing the part and taking pictures outside.



 

 
 The oldest refused to have her picture taken, party pooper.


Afterwards, we came in, they changed clothes and we sat down to start a rosary.  I really wanted to start the year off right!




That is when I stopped trying to get them to look holy and just said, "Everyone!  Make a silly face!"

Then there were gift bags.  Hey, I'm trying to be a cool mom here, ok?





Can you tell that my children get unusually excited over paper products?



And apparently bananas.

Afterwards we got down to business


A little well deserved recess...


and we ended our day with a nice little tea with Paleo Zucchini Brownies, which I apparently forgot to take pictures of.  Trust me they were very yummy.  

The next day I realized what I had done, in my frenzy for the perfect school year, by over planning.  So I had to rethink things.  We are starting out a little more slowly next week.  You know, like math and spelling.  Then we will slowly add in everything else.  

Honestly, it was a good beginning, and I'm glad I could recognize what was happening before we were a month into school and completely burned out!  

So here is to a great new school year!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good day!! It's reading so much for all you brave mothers who have gone before that keeps me from trying to add every awesome subject/lesson/curriculum to our day and therefore keeping it doable and enjoyable. And of course one huge benefit of homeschooling is being able to rearrange at any moment when the plans in action don't work as well as they looked on paper!! Great first day photos! Here's to a fabulous year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you Anne, if I have learned anything about homeschooling, is that you simply should never do too much. They need time to discover on their own. I believe in schooling, but I also believe in time spent just playing and exploring!
      Thank you!!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to bless me with a visit and a comment.